[Doc-SIG] Python docs in reST?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon May 16 05:04:29 CEST 2005

A thread on c.l.py ("Python Documentation (should be better?)") got me to
thinking about options for improving/restructuring the online documentation.
That led me to thinking about converting the current docs to reST.  A scan
of the last year's worth of list archives didn't yield any obvious
discussion on the topic, but I find it hard to believe the topic hasn't been
discussed in the past.  Pointers to past threads cheerfully accepted.

It seems to me that converting to reST has a couple obvious benefits:

    * dump latex2html

    * better potential HTML generation options (like HTML w/ an integrated
      annotation capability)

    * possibly enlarge pool of documentation contributors

Fred wrote some Latex->ESIS->SGML tools that look like they might possibly
be redirected to the more-or-less one-time task of converting to reST.

Thoughts?

--
Skip Montanaro
skip at pobox.com