[Doc-SIG] two subjects: docutils for python docs, and integrating documentation in source code

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Tue May 3 05:04:27 CEST 2005

> Martin Blais wrote:
>> [...] many methods or functions simply don't need to appear in the
>> documentation

[Felix Wiemann]
> Maybe add a special token to the docstring that the method shouldn't
> appear in auto-documentation?

A special comment perhaps?  Or a function attribute?  I don't think
such metadata should be put in the docstring; that's for
documentation.

OTOH, the common convention for "weakly private" or "internal" can be
used: a single underscore prefix.  E.g.:

    def _internal(...):

>> what i meant is that it is not currently possible to generate
>> generic index entries with docutils, e.g. in a paragraph of normal
>> text, how do i indicate that a word in the paragraph should appear
>> in the index?
>
> * Write index support for Docutils and use a special role.

Some ideas have been documented; see
http://docutils.sf.net/docs/dev/rst/alternatives.html#index-entries-indexes

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>