[Doc-SIG] what about OpenDocument?

Chad Whitacre chad at zetaweb.com
Sat Dec 31 22:51:20 CET 2005

Torsten,

Thanks for jumping in.

> Can't the main XML file be checked-in parallelly?

Theoretically, yes. But that's an ugly hack, IMO, and we already have
one of those. :^)

> Can OOo calculate a diff between two arbitrary versions?

I'm not sure what OOo's versioning capabilities are, although I suspect
that versioning info would be stored in a separate part of the ODT and
not in the "main XML file" (which I take to refer to content.xml).

>>my beef is that the markup it gives us is inadequate, both in
>>terms of encoding information and accessing it.
>
> Well, OOo separates visual and structural markup very thoroughly, so
> I don't understand the issue here.

Sure, but my idea was to overload OOo's standard markup to encode
Python-documentation-specific information, like function definitions and
parameter lists. But when you use an OOo stylesheet to define what
amounts to a custom markup language, then the only hook you get within
their actual markup is a single attribute  -- text:style-name -- on only
about four different tags -- text:p, text:span, etc. Again, just another
ugly hack.

chad