[Doc-SIG] Python Tutorial - urllib2

Michael Foord mike at pcblokes.com
Thu Dec 22 12:38:39 CET 2005

By the way (and in the vain (sic) of shameless self-promotion...) there
was a suggestion on Dobbs Python-URL that the inclusion of some of my
material on urllib2 would be welcome in the tutorial.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/1d52898f07b7dfcd/d015de23ad6818fa

My tutorial is at : http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/urllib2.shtml

The most appropriate sections to include would be on fetching URLs and
handling errors, and possibly the basic authentication example. It
probably fits best in the 'Brief tour of the standard library'.

Would that be welcomed ? It is currently in rest format - and html of
course ;-)

Is reST acceptable for *someone* to add this material - and if so, what
should I do about it ?

By the way my vote is -1 on moving to html as the standard markup format
and +1 on working on docutils to turn that into an usable input format.
Additionally - having a wiki version, or a version that accepts user
commentary would be a very useful way of gathering additional
information. Of course someone has to maintain this... I think AMK did a
simple implementation of this a while ago - although it had usability
issues and the resulting data didn't seem to be used. I guess this is
all part of the ongoing discussion.

All the best,

Fuzzyman