[Doc-SIG] Eliding most of distutils and Carbon from the global module index

skip@pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Dec 8 19:57:03 CET 2005

The global module index contains around 360 entries.  46 of them are for
various modules in the distutils package.  Another 24 are for Carbon (Mac)
modules.  I think almost all those references come from lines in
Doc/dist/dist.tex or Doc/mac/toolbox.tex like:

    \declaremodule{standard}{distutils.core}

or

    \declaremodule{standard}{Carbon.CF}

I think many/most of those modules could be omitted from the module index
without major problems.  The question is how to do that?  Should I

    * remove the \declaremodule lines from the .tex files

    * redefine the \declaremodule macro to accept an optional arg that can
      suppress the generation of an index entry

    * define a new macro (\declaremodulenoindex?) that does everything
      the current one does except the index entry dance

?  I'd like to do something.  Take a look at the docs for distutils.debug:

    http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/dist/module-distutils.debug.html

and these for Carbon.CF:

    http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/mac/module-Carbon.CF.html

Hardly seems worth mentioning in the module index at all, let alone on par
with sys, os, math, etc.

Point me in the right direction and I'll take care of the rest.

Skip