[Doc-SIG] partial rewrite of the "extending and embedding" manual

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Sep 3 13:10:59 CEST 2004

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake at acm.org> writes:

> On Tuesday 10 August 2004 11:43 am, Michael Hudson wrote:
>  > Noone?  Oh well...
>
> I'm not ignoring you, just way too busy right now.  Feel free to
> remind me a couple of weeks if you haven't heard anything from me.

OK :-)

I've just uploaded a new version to:

   http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/toext/

While not wanting to disparage in any way those few brave souls who've
beta tested this, I'd still like more feedback!  I realize this isn't
an incredibly important thing, but I do think the current Ext & Emb
manual is in a pretty parlous state.  I'd like the finished version of
my document to replace it, /maybe/ for 2.4 final if I really get
typing, but by 2.5 at the latest.

I also seem to have accumulated these wishes along the way:

a way to link to files, like \verbatiminput, but NOT including the
contents of the file would be nice (for setup.py files).

a way to turn each mention of an API function into a link to its
documentation in the API reference would be *really* nice (this sounds
hard! parsing api.idx? brr!).

I surprise myself, but I think I'd like to see a javadocesque approach
to the API reference: associating each API function very closely with
its documentation in the source, and then maybe having a variety of
ways of arranging the results (e.g. by category (very high level
interface, abstract interface, concrete interface, ...) or
alphabetically).

Cheers,
mwh

--
 "Sturgeon's Law (90% of everything is crap) applies to Usenet."
 "Nothing guarantees that the 10% isn't crap, too."