[Doc-SIG] objections to renaming "--exit" option / "exit_level" setting?

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Mon May 31 13:05:25 EDT 2004

Does anybody use the "exit_level" setting ("--exit" option)?  I'm
thinking of changing the names to better reflect the function.
 From docs/config.txt:

"""
exit_level
     A system message level threshold; non-halting system messages at
     or above this level will produce a non-zero exit status at normal
     exit.  Exit status is the maximum system message level plus 10 (11
     for INFO, etc.).

     Default: disabled (5).  Options: ``--exit``.
"""

I think the option originally suggested by Beni Cherniavsky,
"--exit-status", is better.  I'd also change the setting to
"exit_status_level".  I'm sending this message to gauge the impact;
will this break a lot of people's systems?

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>