[Doc-SIG] Creating a new type of document

Derek Wyatt wyatt at syndesis.com
Tue Apr 6 11:55:46 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

First off... thanks for the tool.  I love the markup language.

I'm trying to use this to create a documentation centre within the company that
i work for.  I like the idea of PEPs (as i've stated on a previous message) but
I don't like the PEP acronym (for sake of argument, this will be DED in this
email).  It simply doesn't make sense here.  What i want is to have my own type
of reST type of document that has a DED feel (with the top navigation bar sans
the gif).

I need to add, automatically, to a standard reST document, the following:

  o automatic recognition of "DED nn" as something that needs to be a relative
    link to "ded-00nn.html" a la PEP.

  o automitic inclusion of the top set of links (a la PEP), taking you to the
    top level directory, showing you DED 0, and also showing the DED source.

What i don't need, that the PEPs have is:

  o all of the python "stuff" -- CVS links, python home links, python pep index
    links, etc etc..

What am i writing to accomplish this?  I am getting a bit of a feel for how the
system works and it looks like i'm not going to be writing a reader or parser
since the file will be basic reST.  However i think i need to write a
transform, writer and a front-end.  Is this correct?

I could write an html munger that takes the output of the html.py front end and
puts in the "DED nn" links and the links at the top, but it seems much cleaner
to write something that can intercept the reST parsed output into XML and
insert the stuff there.

Thanks again!
Derek

Derek Quinn Wyatt      |  Phone: (905) 886-7818 ext. 2314
Syndesis Engineering   |  Fax:   (905) 886-9076
Toronto, Ontario, CAN  |  Email: wyatt at syndesis.com
"Go away or I will replace you with a small, more cost-effective
 shell script."

"Necessary" Legalese: This email communication is CONFIDENTIAL.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or
disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in
the message and I ask that you please notify me at the telephone
number shown above or by return email and delete this communication
immediately. Thank you.