[Doc-SIG] Re: Distribution formats

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 15:09:23 EDT 2003

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake at acm.org> writes:

> We're currently distributing 21 different files for the documentation
> for a single Python release.  This includes 3 compression formats for
> the HTML, LaTeX, PDF (2 paper sizes), and PostScript (2 paper sizes)
> formats, 2 compression formats for the GNU info, and 1 for the iSilo
> format.
>
> I'd like to cut back a little.  ;-)
>
> Is there anyone currently relying on the gzipped archives who can't
> use the bzip2 archives?  (How about the ZIP users?  Can they rely on
> gzip or bzip2 archives?)
>
> I'd appreciate feedback on this.  Thanks!

One annoying factor is that WinZip doesn't support the bzip2 format. I
don't know how many (if any) users rely on .tar.gz format archives on
Windows (I don't!), but as WinZip is fairly commonly used, there may
be an issue there...

I think that, as long as you supply *one* of .tar.gz or .zip formats,
WinZip users will be OK.

Hope this helps,
Paul.
--