[Doc-SIG] Distribution formats

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Sep 29 17:19:44 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> Aahz wrote on 2003-09-29:
>> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there anyone currently relying on the gzipped archives who can't
>>> use the bzip2 archives?  (How about the ZIP users?  Can they rely on
>>> gzip or bzip2 archives?)
>>
>> WinZip (one of the standard Windows utilities) supports gzip, but I
>> can't find any sign that they support bzip2.
>
> For windows, the Free `7-Zip`__ supports them all.
>
> __ www.7-zip.org

While that's a Good Thing, I'm not sure it addresses the issue.  Should
we be in a position where in order to access material on python.org,
people have to download additional software?  I think it's reasonable to
assume that people have either ZIP or bzip2, but I think that we'll get
lots of whining if we only make bzip2 available.  (I'm already not
looking forward to the complaints to webmaster if we remove gzip, but
that's at least manageable.)

--Bill Harlan