[Doc-SIG] Docutils autonumbered lists

Dethe Elza dethe.elza at blastradius.com
Fri Oct 10 14:04:24 EDT 2003

Hi all,

David, thanks for your reply to my last issue, we seemed to have solved
it by having the requirements change underneath us...

I'll try to find the place where the state machine seemed to be poking
through (and dependant on file vs. StringIO).  It had to do with how
the include directive finds it's source directory.  Of course, finding
the source directory from a string (vs. a file) will be *problematic*
in any case. %-)

Today's issue is autonumbered lists.  Since ordered lists autonumber
themselves by default (in HTML), this seems like it would be easily
accomplished, and I thought I remembered the notation:

#. list item one
#. list item two
#. list item three

But after trying it and going through the docs, I appear to have
substituted footnote notation for list notation.  Is there a clear and
present reason why we don't do autonumbering for lists?  What is the
order of magnitude of the work needed to add it?

I also wanted to share a success story.  After proseletizing
restructured text around the office, I finally gave up.  Recently I was
asked to implement a lightweight content repository and reST came up as
a possible feature.  So now we have a lightweight CMS with search
integrated over both reST and Word documents (and our issue tracking
and versioning systems), with portal-type templating, automatic reST
processing, filesystem and webserver integration.  It's been relatively
straightforward, very successful, and now everyone in the office is
learning to use reST.

Thanks!

--Dethe

"Well I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five years now, doctor, and
I'm
happy to state I've finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd, Harvey