[Doc-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Documentation packages

Dethe Elza delza at blastradius.com
Thu Oct 2 12:20:29 EDT 2003

Tom Emerson wrote:
> What Unix boxen do you use? I often run into Solaris, IRIX, and HP-UX
> boxen that lack unzip.

That's good feedback to have.  I was only sharing my limited
experience.  Granted, the HP-UX boxen that I have used lacked pretty
much everything, but my experiences with most forms of Unix (besides
Linux and OS X) is growing quite dated now.

> I wouldn't switch to bz2. Even tgz can be confusing. Having .zip files
> for Windows users and .tar.gz files for Unix users is a happy medium
> that should work most everywhere. Of course for maximum Unix
> portability I suppose you could use .tar.Z ;-)

That was more or less my point, but as Barry has pointed out, there are
excellent reasons for keeping the bz2 format.  Customer demand is the
best reason I can think of.

--Dethe