[Doc-SIG] Adaptable file extensions (was: New concept of "commands"?)

Luc Saffre luc.saffre at gmx.net
Fri Nov 21 05:55:02 EST 2003

Yes, <http://docutils.sf.net/spec/notes.html#adaptable-file-extensions>
seems a good solution for the problem of "intra-site" or "local" links
(i mean links who stay on the same site).

I just made a first release of WebMan which is a candidate for such a
change, and which gives a concrete application:
<http://lino.sourceforge.net/webman.html>
When WebMan generates static html, then the file extension for
intra-site links is ".html", but when WebMan runs as a Medusa/Quixote
server, there must be no extension at all. Though currently the links
are hard-coded with ".html". That's why intra-site links currently fail
when you serve a WebMan module dynamically.

 From WebMan's point of view I can say that support for file types other
than documents is not necessary and makes things complicated. The rule
should simply be: if an URL ends with ".*", then ask the Writer for the
file extension and replace the ".*" by this.

For someone who has Python and docutils installed it should be
relatively painless to get the sources from CVS,
(see http://lino.sourceforge.net/install.html#get-the-sources)
insert them manually to your Python path (don't run setup.py!) and run
the scripts webman.py and webmandemo.py. (Oops: for webmandemo.py you
will also need medusa and quixote installed:
http://www.amk.ca/python/code/medusa.html
http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/)

Luc Saffre