[Doc-SIG] New concept of "commands"?

Luc Saffre luc.saffre at gmx.net
Thu Nov 20 04:24:22 EST 2003

Thank you, David.

I agree that a syntax change is something to avoid if possible, and you
mentioned two alternatives:

- Substitutions : are not a candidate for my problem because there is no
possibility to specify parameters.

- Some variation on the existing "`reference`_" or "`reference <URL>`_"
syntax... : This seems promising!

Idea 1 : provide a possibility to declare a function that decides what
to do with URLs. The parser would call this function each time that it
found an URL. The default function would do the same as what is done
now. A framework-defined function would call the default function if the
URL is a normal one, but if it starts with a keyword (for example
"lref:" instead of the normal "http:") then it would apply its own
processing (and return a list of nodes, I guess). Then I could write::

   Return to `Main page <lref:index>`_.

or::

   See file `__init__.py <fileref:src/lino/__init.py>`_ for details.

Idea 2 : what about  `Python expression`!_ or something similar? The
python expression would not be allowed to contain backticks, but imho
that's not a big problem. Problem could rather be that a text like "She
shouted "_No!_" and ran away." must not be processed this way. The rule
would be that something which ends with "!_" and does not start with "_"
is to be considered a Python expression to evaluate.

   Return to `url("index", "Main page")`!_.

or::

   See file `fileref("src/lino/__init__.py")`!_ for details.

I hope for some feedback about these ideas.

Luc Saffre