[work] Re: [Doc-SIG] Hello and feedback

grubert@users.sourceforge.net grubert@users.sourceforge.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:52:14 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, David Priest wrote:

> I think one of the best ways to encourage wide adoptation is to make it as
> easy as possible for functionality to be implemented within the source text
> files.  It's going to be next to impossible to keep up with everyone's
> various ideas for roles.  The more that a role's functionality can be put
> into a text sourcefile, the easier it is to share one's documents.

BUT: this needs to thought out very well, because he more functionality is in
the source text, the more problems might arise having compatibility issues.

and of course this might interfere with separation of content and format.

OTOH: much might be done by preprocessor postprocessor and plugins.
* a preprocessor simply fixes some special constructs and emits reST.
  if this is successful it might become a new reader.
* postprocessing is similar but specialiced to the writer the preceeds it.
  on success make it a writer (option).
* a plugin might be considered an external transform:
  might be done by two stage docutils:
  1. reST to xml (or even the pickled internal data)
  2. custom xml processing
  3. xml to whatever writer might fit.
  on success becomes a transform ?

--