[work] Re: [Doc-SIG] Hello and feedback

David Priest priest@sfu.ca
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 23:52:05 -0800

On Sat David Goodger <goodger@python.org> wrote:
> Some people write "&c" instead of "etc".  Should the parser
> generate an error for this?  I think not.

Just a quick note: &c doesn't fall into the charent pattern.

So we're down to inconviencing one of two groups.

In group one, those who are writing anything involving extended characters
(ie. mathematics, physics, papers with the occasional foreign word) will
need to consult a lookup table to figure out what ALT+keypad combination
will create the character they want, and will not be able to use just any
old editor; but those writing about XML and such will be able to refer to
charents without having to use ``&name;`` escaping.

In group two, those writing about XML and such will have to use ``&name;``
escaping, but everyone else will be able to use charents to insert the
occassional extended character into their work and use any editor they care
to use.

I know which group I want to belong to, but then I don't spend a lot of
time writing about charents.

But it doesn't really matter: I can get the substitution table to work, so
the problem is resolved.

Much to your relief, I'll drop the matter now.