[Doc-SIG] The Use of Roles

David Priest priest at sfu.ca
Mon Jun 9 21:15:12 EDT 2003

Directives seem to me to address only the mark-up of block text.  There's a
decent document describing how to implement one's own directives in
Docutils.

Roles seem to me to address the mark-up of inline text.  I can find nothing
in the documentation nor the (recent, ie. 2003) archives regarding the
implementation of one's own roles in Docutils.  I do see a fair bit of
discussion about what roles to implement &c.

Why not allow users to add Roles in much the same manner that Directives
can be added?  I'd much rather hack an __init__ file and add a .py role-
handler, than hack the Docutils source itself.

What I'm looking to do is add :gui:, :key:, and :dic: roles that create
probably also like to add :idx: for indexing support.

Have I overlooked an easy add-on capability?  Is there any moral, logical,
or political reason for allowing user directives but not user roles?  Or is
there some amount of planning to do this eventually?

Curious, et al.
  (another) david