[Doc-SIG] State of XHTML in browsers

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Wed Jul 30 16:50:24 EDT 2003

I'd like to get a rough idea of how painful it would be for users if
python.org and the Python documentation were converted to strictly
conforming XHTML 1.1.  I presume we'd still serve web pages as
text/html, but the content would conform to XHTML 1.1 with all the
HTML compatibility hacks.

In particular:  Are there any actively used browsers that don't
support proper XHTML?  I'm think especially about linking behavior:
Are all current browsers able to use the "id" attributes on arbitrary
elements, or is the <a name='...'> construct still needed?

I'd really appreciate feedback on this.  Thanks!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation