[Doc-SIG] Re: [Docutils-develop] Re: Updates to Docutils

Benja Fallenstein b.fallenstein@gmx.de
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 18:57:16 +0100

Hi David,

David Goodger wrote:
> I have fixed the remaining (known) bugs related to Python 2.3 and PyXML.
>
> Fred Drake pointed out that Python 2.1 didn't have the "compiler" package as
> part of the standard library (it was a separate install), and that's crucial
> to the Python Source Reader work that's ongoing.  Therefore I've decided to
> upgrade the minimum Python requirement to 2.2 (2.2.2 recommended).
> Everything except the test suite and the docutils/readers/python code still
> works with Python 2.1 though.

My project [http://gzz.info] is using ReST heavily for documentation (we
intend to write all future documentation in it, and have converted some
of the existing). However, since we're a Java project, we use it through
Jython, whose newest version is currently up to par with Python 2.1.
Therefore, I'd be much happier if you could formally keep the docutils
requirement at 2.1 for everything except the Python reader (or say,
"Requirement: Python 2.2 or Python 2.1 with the compiler package
installed"). When a 2.2-compliant Jython ever comes out, this won't be
an issue any more.

Thanks,
- Benja