[Doc-SIG] Re: Updates to Docutils

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 00:18:04 -0500

David Goodger writes:
 > I have fixed the remaining (known) bugs related to Python 2.3 and PyXML.

Yee haw!  ;-)

 > Fred Drake pointed out that Python 2.1 didn't have the "compiler" package as
 > part of the standard library (it was a separate install), and that's crucial
 > to the Python Source Reader work that's ongoing.  Therefore I've decided to
 > upgrade the minimum Python requirement to 2.2 (2.2.2 recommended).

It's not clear that this is the right way to deal with this; I'd be
happy that just the one component isn't necessarily available with
Python 2.1.x unless the compiler package is installed.

(I vaguely recall that the compiler package shipped as part of the
source package, but not as part of the standard library, but I'm not
sure offhand.  Maybe it was in the Tools/ directory?)

I've not dug into the alltests.py script yet; perhaps there's a way to
do something similar to the "skipped tests" idea that we use with the
Python test suite.  That's probably more a matter of mechanics than
anything.  I won't have time to look into that for at least a few
days; if anyone beats me to it I won't complain.  ;-)

 > Everything except the test suite and the docutils/readers/python code still
 > works with Python 2.1 though.

Which means the tests need to run, at least for the parts that are
supposed to work!  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>