[Doc-SIG] Referencing specific function/class inside howto

Wolfgang Lipp castor at snafu.de
Mon Aug 18 20:54:22 EDT 2003

i am not sure i understood the question completely, but epydoc+docutils
is able to reference functions in modules included in one documentation
build. you would simple write `mymodule.xy` and there you are.

i am using the docutils together with epydoc, and find i can recommend
the combo as the best source documentation solution available for
python. i did patch a few lines in epydoc and wrote an additional module
to do file globbing, though, but in most cases it should work with simply
setting up epydoc and docutils and then issue sth along the lines of

pathto\epydoc.py --target doc --css blue --docformat restructuredtext *.py

from the directory where your sources live. of course, this makes only sense
if your sources are python files, for otherwise epydoc couldn't handle them.
unfortunately, since file globbing didn't seem to work with the last release
of epydoc, you may have to replace the ``*.py`` with a list of all your
files.

i think it would make sense to urge the developer of epydoc to get some
really minor quirks out of the current release, write one or two short
scripts and perhaps even make a docutils/epydoc bundle so developers and
laymen alike can install and run it with even less hassle than today.

yours,

_wolf

ps. for those interested, http://python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=tracy&version=0.1
provides docs & sources as an example application of the epydoc+docutils.