[Doc-SIG] Old versions of the docs on python.org

Garth Kidd garth at deadlybloodyserious.com
Fri Aug 8 12:06:47 EDT 2003

> We've been working on cleaning up python.org lately.  There
> are a lot of old versions of the Python documentation on the
> site; I'd like to remove versions which predate 1.5.2 from
> the website (not from the FTP archive, though).
>
> Any objections?  Suggestions?

I suggest keeping them on the site, but adding META tags suitable for
preventing search engines from indexing them. People will thus be funnelled
to the main documentation because that's where the search results will
point, but those specifically interested in the old stuff will be able to
read it without going to the hassle of downloading the full set with FTP.

You'll need to have at least one indexable page link to the old docs by name
and version, though, so that a search for "Python 1.4 documentation" etc
will succeed.

Regards,
Garth.