rst-mode.el (was: [Doc-SIG] Re: rest-mode.el and more)

Stefan Merten smerten@oekonux.de
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 21:47:22 +0200

Hi David and all!

5 days ago David Goodger wrote:
> [Stefan Merten]
>> I coded a font-lock mode which recognizes most reST constructs.
>=20
> It looks quite good!

:-)

I'm glad it's helping people :-) .

> I hope you continue to develop it.

I already did. It now supports comments and literal blocks. However,
this involves multi-line font-locking which is slightly beyond simple
font-lock. Particularly typing gets **slooooow** when point is after
such a block. Because of that the mode switches to `lazy-lock-mode'
which one might configure independently. There is a customizable
variable `rst-mode-lazy' which triggers this behavior so this can be
switched off if it is more disturbing than useful.

> Could it be made a derivative of indented-text-mode, so that it
> inherits that mode's behavior?  Or is it already, except for keymaps?
> (How does one tell?)  Or could this become a minor mode of
> indented-text-mode?

<disclaimer>
I'm actually nor an Emacs lisp hacker. I learned some Emacs lisp a
long time ago and added to that over time but I did not follow the
modern developments such as customization.
</disclaimer>

In modern Emacsen I once saw a technique to derive a new mode from an
old one. However, this seems not be supported everywhere. I'll check
out how ``rst-mode`` can be integrated with ``indented-text-mode``
(which at least in 20.7 is just an alias for ``text-mode`` anyway).

>> If you want to include it in an official CVS tree that's fine.
>=20
> Thank you.  I think I'll include it as tools/editors/emacs/rst-mode.el

Meanwhile you added me to the developers. Thanks :-) .

I just added::

	docutils/tools/editors/emacs/rst-mode.el

to the CVS repository. You may download it from::

	http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/docutils/docut=
ils/tools/editors/emacs/rst-mode.el?rev=3DHEAD&content-type=3Dtext/plain

> ("rst" not "rest", see below).

I changed all the names to "rst" instead of "rest". I just needed a
name to start with.

						Mit Freien Gr=FC=DFen

						Stefan