[Doc-SIG] epydoc 1.1 release

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:59:10 +0100

Edward Loper wrote:
> - Some advantages of pydoc are:
>       - It provides links to the source code for each module.
>       - It can be used from the command-line to view manpage-like
>         docs.
>       - It can be used from within python (pydoc.help)
>       - It automatically creates intra-documentation links (you
>         might see this as a positive or a negative, since it
>         sometimes creates links where there shouldn't be links;
>         epydoc is more conservative, and will only create links
>         if you tell it to (with epytext markup).
>       - It currently has better support for python 2.2-style
>         types (with wrapper_descriptors, etc.).
>       - It does some processing of comments.  Epydoc just uses
>         docstrings.

I like the output of epydoc a lot (except maybe for the dim
colors ;-). Wouldn't it be possible to add most of the above
in form of options to epydoc ?

What I don't understand about epydoc is why it uses a syntax
that's almost JavaDoc-style, but not all the way ?

Think of it this way: Java programmers are usually very aware
of JavaDoc style comments, so switching to epydoc for Python
programming would probably cause them more trouble due to the
subtle differences than someone who has never worked in this
context before.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Is the doc-string parser pluggable ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH