[Doc-SIG] simple use of docutils

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
10 Oct 2002 20:12:37 +0100

I have an application where I want to programmatically use docutils.

So, I have a chuck of text (or a file, both are equally easy) in rst
format that I want to turn into html (again, either a file, or as
text).

This doesn't seem to be totally straightforward.

I have code like this:

    from docutils.core import Publisher
    from docutils.io import FileInput

    pub = Publisher(source=FileInput(None, source_path=filename),
                    destination=htname)
    pub.set_options()
    pub.set_reader('standalone', None, 'restructuredtext')
    pub.set_writer('html')
    pub.publish()

But that's not enough -- I have to cook up mythical 'option' objects
from somewhere.

Clearly, I haven't really read the docs.

Is there an easy way of doing what I want?

There should be.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Sufficiently advanced political correctness is indistinguishable
  from irony.                                           -- Erik Naggum