[Doc-SIG] RE: emphasis presentation (was verse construct (was Re: [Docutils -develop] Parsing oddness))

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore@atosorigin.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 09:05:46 +0100

From: David Goodger [mailto:goodger@users.sourceforge.net]
> Paul Moore wrote:
> > I personally would prefer ``*emphasis*`` to be bold
>
> That's easy; just change your stylesheet.

I think that's my point :-) If you could change the style on a literal
block, presentation could be under the user's control, and so the proposed
verse construct would just be a different style for a literal block. Of
course, (a) you can't do this on a per-block basis, and (b) it doesn't help
other presentation formats than HTML.

I still don't see a real need for a hybrid literal-with-inline-markup
construct. Examples can be produced, but they don't feel like significant
cases.

If we really need this level of control, maybe it's time to implement a more
general "output format specific code" directive. Something like

    .. for: type=html
    .. for: type=LaTeX
       \begin{red}
       And here, you write raw TeX
       \end{red}

Of course, this makes the document output-specific, and risks errors
(malformed HTML), etc etc. But it is totally general, if people really
care...

Paul.