[Doc-SIG] verse construct (was Re: [Docutils-develop] Parsing oddness)

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Wed, 8 May 2002 09:48:29 +0100

I wrote:
> I'm not *too* keen on the use of ";;", but it does have a clear
analogy
> with "::", and it's unlikely to be used "by mistake". I assume the
rules
> of how it appears are identical to those for "::"? (i.e., precede with
> space to suppress a colon in the output?)

David Goodger replied:
> Perhaps, although I don't think people will want to end a
> paragraph with a semicolon.

Ah - sorry, perhaps too much telegraphing in my original paragraph.

What I meant is:

I assume that ";;" will translate to a single colon (or not) according
to the same rules as used for "::" - thus::

    Here is a verse;;

        It's very short

gives::

    Here is a verse:

        It's very short

but::

    Here is a verse ;;

        It's very short

gives::

    Here is a verse

        It's very short

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"