[Doc-SIG] Call for opinions on "inline external targets" idea

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 10:26:59 +0100

Paul Moore wrote:
> The problem, as I understand it, is that Simon wants to do this for
> *relative* URLs, so he's looking at
>
>     Talked to X, Y and Z from ABC (localfile.htm)
>
> which reST won't pick up as a link. So the transformer won't
> see link nodes, which leaves us back at parsing raw text.

Ah - I keep forgetting that - mainly because I parse the statement::

   I want relative URLs, without an ``http://`` at the
   front, to be recognised.

as being in the same class as the statement::

   I want the moon to be made of cheese.

- i.e., it might be fun (for some sense of fun), but it doesn't make
much sense.

So what's the problem with the overhead of just making the URL be a
legal URL - i.e., adding the ``http://`` in front of it? It's about the
same amount of typing as all the other solutions being proposed (and
then my "solution" can be applied...).

"I'm a little monster, short and stout
 Here's my horns and here's my snout
 When you come a calling, hear me shout