[Doc-SIG] reST block quotes

Paul Moore lists@morpheus.demon.co.uk
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:30:00 +0000

David Goodger <goodger@python.org> writes:

>>    Subheading
>>
>>      example
>>
>>      paragraph
>>
>> I would like to be able to do that in an reST doc.
>
> You can do that with current reST; you would end up with nested
> block quotes.  I don't get it.  Can you show me an example of how
> you'd like to apply this concept to reStructuredText sources?

Sorry to butt in. I think the OP's point is that he wants to be able
to indent the source text, for readability of the source, *without*
having any effect on markup. So, for example::

    Section 1
    ---------

        This is section 1. I have indented it simply so that it shows
        up more clearly in the source text. I am *not* looking for a
        blockquote construct in the processed output.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the suggestion, but I do sympathise
with it - I often use indentation in plain text postings, and it's vey
rarely for something I'd call a "block quote". But I haven't analysed
my "natural tendencies" against reST conventions, to be sure of this.

> HTML's <blockquote cite="..."> doesn't seem to have universal
> support.  How should attributions be handled for current browsers
> (back to Netscape 4)?

In IE6 on Windows 2000, the cite attribute seems to completely
disappear. I can't get it displayed, no matter what I do. Given this
fact, I'd avoid the cite construct like the plague - it involves a
serious risk of information just "disappearing".

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank