[Doc-SIG] reST block quotes

fantasai fantasai@escape.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:48:21 -0500

hmm.. it's been awhile.

ok, so there's a problem with the blockquote syntax
that was one of the first things I noticed: The syntax
relies exclusively on indentation. This means one can't
use indentation for other things--like indenting
sections to make the document structure easier to grasp.

The other problem is that attributions don't seem to
be recognized. It would be nice to put uris in HTML's
'cite' attribute and mark up just regular attributions
as such.

  | An Attribution identifies the source to whom a
  | BlockQuote or Epigraph is ascribed.

  -- http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/attribution.html

So, I'd like to have reST take something like that
(URIs might need something to distinguish them from,
say, people) and translate it into appropriate markup.
An option could require the pipe quoting or another
symbol (e.g. '>') and just treat indented blocks as
regular text.

(I'd gotten the symbol-quoting part to work last year,
but ran into some trouble with the attribution (I was
using a different syntax) and put everything aside for
later.)

So, what do you think?

~fantasai