[Doc-SIG] auto-numbered footnote resolution

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:55:49 -0400

[David]
> Let's use "_footnote " + footnote number for those attributes
> (a name-mangling unlikely to occur in the real world; note that
> this hasn't been documented yet).

[Tony]
> Hmm - I wasn't assuming that unnamed autonumbered footnotes would have any
> name other than the number (since you're following the XML tradition and
> storing such things as strings anyway).

I suppose we could go either way. I'm re-examining (for validity) what I
wrote in the spec:

    Automatic footnote numbering may not be mixed with manual footnote
    numbering; it would cause numbering and referencing conflicts.

Would such mixing inevitably cause conflicts? We could probably work around
potential conflicts with a decent algorithm. Should we? Requires thought.
Opinions?

--
David Goodger    goodger@users.sourceforge.net    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sourceforge.net