[Doc-SIG] Re: DPS file extensions

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:58:31 -0400

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) wrote:
> Extensions, as we've said, don't apply on Macs, so don't use them
> (but isn't it a norm to register new filetypes on Macs so the
> correct icon comes up?)

There actually is a mechanism on MacOS for cross-platform
compatibility. You associate a filename extension with an existing
application & filetype. It's similar to what you do on Windows. The
default set includes .txt, .html, and a few dozen others.

The point is, though, that dealing with this automatically is a royal
pain, and asking people to do it manually won't fly (*I* wouldn't do
it if asked!). So I'd rather not. Maybe later, but not now.

If somebody were to cook up bulletproof multi-platform (means
Win/Mac/*n*x, not just Win/*n*x) code for this, I would be happy to
add it to the project(s). Maybe there's already support for it in
distutils? But the code would have to be *really* bulletproof.

--
David Goodger    goodger@users.sourceforge.net    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sourceforge.net