[Doc-SIG] Producing output

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:22:45 +0100

David Goodger wrote:
> > He's quite sensible, you know...)
>
> Why, thank you!

It's nothing. It was even meant as a compliment (we need some sense
around here sometimes!)

> My background includes 2.5 years of intense SGML work, analyzing
> documents, writing DTDs, implementing processing systems, etc. So the
> terminology comes naturally to me too.

Whilst understanding that that may have been hard graft, and not
necessarily pleasurable at times, *envy* - I've been "watching" SGML and
related technologies for many years (I remember being told about GML at
university) and never had a chance to play with any of it properly. XML
is now becoming important in our field, but its still not *document*
processing (except in a very meta sense).

Mind you, now we *are* working with XML, I haven't had any time to play
with it in Python (or much at all programatically). Humph. I just spend
time referring other people to potentially useful things, and trying to
help create/criticise schemas.

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"