[Doc-SIG] DPS file extensions

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:34:52 +0100

I've noticed that all of the text files in the DPS and reST
distributions (that is, in the ``spec`` directories) have extension
``.txt``, regardless of whether they are PEPs, DPS/reST text, or (if
there are any!) plain ordinary text.

Whilst this is, of course, correct in a minimalist sense, it isn't very
helpful - running current quicktest/pydps over a PEP doesn't work very
well (well, I assume not), nor is a random text file likely to be
usefully processed (hmm - luck may hold here).

Could I suggest that we coin a standard extension for DPS/reST files?
(I'm willing to cope with a file that is called ``pep-XXX.txt`` as being
recognisably a PEP!).

I *had* thought, initially, of ``.dps``, but of course we *actually*
want to specify the particular format, not the organisational scheme, so
I would thus prefer ``.rest`` (I think going for pseudo-arbitrary
capitalisation in an extension might not be a good thing!).

Thus (in ``dps/spec``, for instance), we'd have::

    dps-notes.rest
    dps.cat
    gpdi.dtd
    pep-0256.txt (and so on - and maybe one dat pep-0256.rest)
    python-docstring-mode.rest

(we already know that I prefer ``.rest`` to ``.rst``...)

"Bounce with the bunny. Strut with the duck.
 Spin with the chickens now - CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK!"
BARNYARD DANCE! by Sandra Boynton