[Doc-SIG] reStructuredText tables are done

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 23:29:48 -0400

At long last, the reStructuredText parser understands tables. Once I figured
out how to get it to "see" the individual cells, it was pretty
straightforward. (Basically, we have a queue of upper-left corners, starting
with (0,0). We trace out one rectangular cell, remember it, and add its
upper-right and lower-left corners to the queue of potential upper-left
corners of further cells. Process the queue in top-to-bottom order, keeping
track of how much of each text column has been seen. Elementary. ;-)

CVS has the files, and tonight's snapshots will have them too:

- reStructuredText code & spec:
  http://structuredtext.sourceforge.net/rst-snapshot.tgz
- DPS code & spec (required for the above):
  http://docstring.sourceforge.net/dps-snapshot.tgz

In other recent developments, Garth Kidd's test refactoring has been checked
in. No more 6000-line test file. (Instead, scads of smaller test modules.)

Except for a few details (such as an API for directives), all parser
constructs are complete. It's ready for serious testing; please pound on it
mercilessly.

I received a bug report (along with support files & patch suggestions; great
stuff!) from Remi Bertholet, which I'll check out shortly. Thanks Remi!

Still lots of work to do, documenting the parser, cleaning parts of it up,
working out the DPS APIs, figuring out what Tony's been up to, updating the
DPS PEPs, etc. etc. Any and all contributions gratefully accepted!

--
David Goodger    goodger@users.sourceforge.net    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sourceforge.net