[Doc-SIG] horizontal rules & text divisions

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:53:04 +0100

David Goodger wrote:
> Rummaging around in my copy of The Chicago Manual of Style,
> 14th ed., I found this confirmation (sect. 1.80):
>
>     Instead of subheads, extra space or a type ornament between
>     paragraphs may be used to mark text divisions or to signal
>     changes in subject or emphasis.

Hmm. I certainly do come across books with "type ornaments" (and I have
old memories of a group of us being very amused by the (then, at least)
Mills&Boon [1]_ house style of a line of asterisks to indicate, erm,
intimate moments).

.. [1] Mass produced romance novels, in case you don't know
   - one friend read them to relax, and some were surprisingly
   good (especially given the low rate of pay one assumes).

On the whole, I think this is probably worth allowing, if you're so
minded (if you weren't, I probably wouldn't fight for it). It clearly
translates well to HTML, and, as you say, matches something well in
other media. I would consider, in the documentation, including that
quote (since it clarifies exactly what is intended, and I assume it
would come under "fair use").

Tibs [2]_

.. [2] You mentioned in passing I forgot a space in front of
   a footnote reference - strangely, I think I originally
   typed on and then removed it. Anyway, I keep learning...

Which is safer, driving or cycling?
Cycling - it's harder to kill people with a bike...