[Doc-SIG] rST hyperlink syntax

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:24:54 -0400

[Alan re: semi-anonymous hyperlinks]
> Well, I think I've come to the conclusion that they're more trouble
> than they're worth

I concur. For now, at least, they'll be relegated to the "Or Not To Do?"
list.

[Garth]
> All we need to ensure correct matching is a rule somewhat like: if a
> target's name doesn't match any link's refname, *and* the target's name
> begins with an underscore, use the nearest preceding link whose refname
> contains the target's name with the underscore stripped.
>
> How easy is that? :)

Not. For one thing, I wouldn't want to restrict the matching to "the nearest
preceding link". Imagine trying to debug a misbehaving bit of source text
having to remember a rule like that. Ugh. :-}

--
David Goodger    goodger@users.sourceforge.net    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sourceforge.net