[Doc-SIG] Re: Substitution syntax

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:37:48 -0000

I can't say I'm fussed whether we use "/" or "|" as the substitution
character - the "|" may be slightly more visually pleasing, perhaps.

As to David's showstopper::

>     +--------------+----------+------------+------------+
>     | row 1, col 1 | column 2 | column 3   | column 4   |
>     +--------------+----------+------------+------------+
>     | row 2        | This cell and the one below span   |
>     |              | from column 2 to column 4.         |
>     +--------------+----------+------------+------------+
>     | row 3        | Here's a |substitution|; or is it? |
>     +--------------+----------+------------+------------+
>     | row 4        |          |            |            |
>     +--------------+----------+------------+------------+

It *is* a showstopper, but only if you decide it is so (i.e., it depends
how much you actually care about the problem, as Designer in Chief).
Otherwise, it's just an awkwardness that needs documenting carefully.
The "obvious" workaround is, of course::

     +--------------+----------+------------+------------+
     |              |                                    |
     | row 3        | Here's a |substitution|; or is it? |
     |              |                                    |

or perhaps the (maybe simpler)::

     | row 3        |  Here's a |substitution|; or is it? |

(I assume either will work?). Regardless, careful documentation of this
edge case (and how to get around it) *should* be enough for most people.

So, that's a vote either way, then...

Well we're safe now....thank God we're in a bowling alley.
- Big Bob (J.T. Walsh) in "Pleasantville"