[Doc-SIG] RE: Python 2.0 quick reference...

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 25 May 2001 11:17:13 -0400 (EDT)

Simon Brunning writes:
 > Changes in *format*. Hand coded HTML is liable to get messy, especially when
 > passed from hand to hand. The Quick Reference as it stands is a perfect
 > example of this! I'm looking for a better format to keep the master version
 > of the quick reference in.

  Considering the document is fairly short, HTML doesn't seem too bad,
but some XML-based solution might be a little easier to maintain, and
use an XSLT stylesheet to convert to HTML.  A separate CSS stylesheet
can then be used to fine-tune little things like colors, font, etc.
Things like bold, italic, and code should be generated by the XSLT so
even older browsers that don't do well with CSS can handle the result.

 > on. But the tag is used extensively as a way of presenting *tabular* data.
 > 'Real' tables using the <table> tag are *much* easier to work with
 > programmatically.

  Agreed.  And they are more susceptible to styling from CSS as well,
which is nice.

 > Doh! <Smites head> Thanks, Fred, for being too kind to tell me to RTFM. But
 > that's what I'll do!

  Don't worry; that's not the first reference to that document I've
handed out in the last 24 hours!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>