[Doc-SIG] RE: Python 2.0 quick reference...

Simon Brunning SBrunning@trisystems.co.uk
Fri, 25 May 2001 10:31:13 +0100

The new version of the Python Quick Reference is at
<http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/python/PQR.html>. It occurs to me that
members of this list would be best placed to advise me as to future
directions...

> From:	Simon Brunning [SMTP:SBrunning@trisystems.co.uk]
> > From:	Robin Becker [SMTP:robin@jessikat.fsnet.co.uk]
> > I just got the version with dark magenta change lines and rather regret
> > the colour/format changes since the initial release. In particular my
> > default visited link colour is darkmagenta and I think darkmagenta on
> > the steelblue looks less than obvious.
>
> Whatever colours I pick, *someone* is going to hate them. I'm just sorry
> that it's you, Robin!
>
> I'm not going to make any further changes to the 2.0 version, but I'm
> planning to extensively revamp the whole document for the 2.1 version. At
> very least, I'm going to get rid of nearly every <pre> tag, and to
> externalise the formatting into a css. That would allow people download
> the
> document and to muck about with the format to their heart's content.
>
> But I'm actually thinking of going one step further, and keeping the
> master
> document in XML format (possibly using DocBook?) and transforming to HTML
> as
> required. And indeed into PDF using your own wonderful ReportLab tool.
>
> But I don't know *anything* about this stuff - I've just bought 'XML in a
> Nutshell', so we'll see how I get on. But if anyone has any advice, don't
> be
> shy!

Any suggestions? In what format are the master versions of the Python
Documentation? Any good tools knocking around?

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.
sbrunning@trisystems.co.uk