[Doc-SIG] using the same delimiter on the left and right..

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:51:51 +0100

I was just about to go, when this came in. Yes! This is the sort of
thing I want Guido around for (or anyone else who makes the implicit
explicit so neatly)...

> This seems to come from a confusion between two similar, but
> different goals:
>
> - It should be easy to read without any knowledge of the markup
>   language

which seems to me to be very Pythonic

> - It should be possible to author without knowing the whole markup
>   language and without changing your habits

and of course this seems to be non-Pythonic

> I can agree with the first one, but I think the second will continue
> to get us into trouble.

Yes.

Of course, now there's the small matter of working out what each person
*means* by the statements, but that's a *useful* nugget for me to think
on over the weekend. And if we're aiming for Python-ness (?!?) then one
should be able to *guess* what to do from a small amount of knowledge,
and that's a can of worms in itself...

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"