[Doc-SIG] Allowing different docstring formats

Juergen Hermann Juergen Hermann" <jh@web.de
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:21:04 +0100

Hi!

What is your opinion on a "format" marker somewhere near the head of a
module, to allow for different and pluggable markup parsers (and/or
different versions of the same markup)?

I see 3 options:

1. a comment like "#pragma docformat STNG" (yes, I'm a C++ guy, too ;)

2. a similar marker at the end of the module docstring

3. a special module variable __docformat__ (which has a default if it's =

absent, namely the format used for standard library modules).

The 1st has the distinct disadvantage that it's not available to
importers of the module. The 2nd is bad because we have to intrude the
very thing that we describe the format of. So personally, I prefer the
3rd option. Anyone sees any problems with that one?

Ciao, J=FCrgen