[Doc-SIG] using the same delimiter on the left and right..

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:36:06 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> That's because when I type something in single quotes, I usually want
> the quotes to appear in the rendered text.  If I write "In C, 'c' is a
> character literal but 'cc' is undefined", it becomes unreadable when
> the output becomes "In C, c is a character literal but cc is
> undefined" -- even if the c and cc are in a different font, it's still
> *wrong*.  This problem doesn't happen with *emph*.

Actually, the example you picked strikes me as a rather extraordinary
case, where you're talking about the literal code:

    'c'

and

    'cc'

I agree that we would want to provide for expressing such stuff, and need
some escapes for them, but *writing about the punctunation* doesn't strike
me as a common case.

That said, i also agree that there are other times in regular text where i
want the "'" apostrophes to show through.  Again, escapes could provide
for that.

Ken
klm@digicool.com