POD (was RE: [Doc-SIG] using the same delimiter on the left and right..)

Juergen Hermann Juergen Hermann" <jh@web.de
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:16:20 +0100

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:40:53 -0500, Tim Peters wrote:

>It's easy to use, and is mostly idiot-proof.  OTOH, it's not *obvious* =
at
>first glance, particularly not the list stuff.  But it's a matter of no=
 more
>than two minutes to *learn* the list conventions, and then they're easy=
 too.

It is. It breaks the "purity" of the plain text ideal (not a problem _fo=
r me_).
I 100% dislike the notion visually empty lines are not logically empty (=
see the
pitfalls). And finally, we'd need to extend the rules so that common lea=
ding
whitespace is removed before processing (so we can properly indent docst=
rings).

>pod-is-a-lot-more-pythonic-then-perl-ly y'rs  - tim

Think so too. I could live with it as a default docstring markup. Tim, w=
hat do
you think about a way to identify which docstring format is used for a m=
odule,
without resorting to some AI code figuring out the format from the text =
itself?

This would relieve the pressure to find a format liked by all people, an=
d also
open up easy upgrade paths.

Ciao, J=FCrgen