[Doc-SIG] f(...) vs. f (...) inconsistency

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:01:32 -0500 (EST)

Peter Funk writes:
 > this is a very tiny issue, but it bugged over the years:
 >
 > In his Styleguide Guido wrote:
 >    """I **hate** whitespace in the following places: [...]
 >       Immediately before the open parenthesis that starts the argument
 >       list of a function call, as in spam (1). Always write this as spam(1)."""
 > I agree to 100% with this.
 > On the other hand I very often cut'n'paste between the library reference manual
 > pages and an open editor window.  Unfortunately in the library reference
 > there are spaces between function names and the opening parenthesis, which
 > I always have to remove manually.
 >
 > How come?  Should the library documentation be fixed in this regard?

  I think that's a historical artefact, but it may make sense to keep
it to ease readability.
  I'm publishing a version of the development documentation that makes
this change, and am requesting feedback to python-docs.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations