[Doc-SIG] going awry

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:21:33 +0200

Ken Manheimer wrote:
> I think a large part of guido's objections to structured text have to do
> with battling painful implementation bugs, part to do with lack of
> predictability, and part do with an expectation that rich-text markup
> style is going to take over the world, even day-to-day communications.

Please let me get this straight: as far as I understood Guido's
post, he only mentioned that rich text markup didn't work in out
in his projects -- he never outruled rich text markup for general
use, so I suspect all this confusion to be based on a
misunderstanding.

There are people out there who use richt text markup in doc-strings
today, so I don't think that we should stop talking about a standard
for a format. Ideally, there should be an interface for extracting
information from single doc-strings or maybe even modules which
then lets everybody plug in their own favourite doc-string parser.

We already have tons of different auto-doc tools out there in
the Python universe -- the problem with most of them is that they
do not allow for parser plugins. This should change, IMHO.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg