[Doc-SIG] What docs should be in the source file?

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:15:02 -0000

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> This is what I was targetting with PEP 224 (attribute docstrings),
> but which will not happen... maybe Ping has an alternative which
> will let me document attributes too ?!

Strangely, whilst I intensely disliked the way PEP 224 was linking
strings to "coincidentally" adjacent values (not that I had a better way
to do it!), only last night I found myself intensely wishing I had
attribute docstrings - they would indeed make documenting things like
class variables so much more pleasant - I could just move the text in
the comment above the value into some other form and heh presto,
documentation **adjacent to the entity documented** *and* user visible.
Ho hum.

Well we're safe now....thank God we're in a bowling alley.
- Big Bob (J.T. Walsh) in "Pleasantville"