[Doc-SIG] Local References

Edward D. Loper edloper@gradient.cis.upenn.edu
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:09:13 EST

> 3. Local references (which look like '[this]' or '[1]') are now
> supported. The "anchor" for a local reference must be at the start of a
> paragraph (in future releases I would expect it to *start* a new
> paragraph if at the start of a line), and looks like::
>
> 	..[this]

Clarification on the syntax..  is *anything* that looks like [this] a
local reference, or does it have to be preceeded by "a parenthetical
like"[this] or "a parenthetical and a colon like":[this]?

If one of the latter, does [this] get rendered with brackets?  Flagged
as a warning when validating (in principle, not in current
implementation)?

What happens if the referent is missing?

What is acceptable content for [this]?  '[\w_-]+'?

-Edward