[Doc-SIG] formalizing StructuredText

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:53:35 -0000

After a weekend where *some* work got done, significant points:

1. Newlines are preserved again in non-literal paragraphs (Edward Loper
convinced me that the benefits outweighed the problems).
2. Newlines are not allowed within literal and Python literal strings.
3. Local references (which look like '[this]' or '[1]') are now
supported. The "anchor" for a local reference must be at the start of a
paragraph (in future releases I would expect it to *start* a new
paragraph if at the start of a line), and looks like::

	..[this]

4. List items and local references may be "empty" paragraphs, but there
may still be some unresolved issues with respect to newlines - I'm not
sure that::

	1.
	  Some text

is allowed (it probably should be, if the form with a blank line between
those two lines *is* allowed).
5. The RE used for detecting URLs has become more sophisticated. There
are some associated rules - first, "odd" characters (which will be
listed in the documentation) must be escaped, either as '&entity;' or as
'%xx', and secondly, only a select group of characters may form the
*last* character of a URL - essentially, [0-9A-Za-z/], or something like
that - this means that "normal punctuation" cannot form the end of a URL
(I don't regard these as very common!), and thus 'http://www.fred.jim/.'
unambiguously ends a sentence with that full stop, it is not part of the
URL. This is a Good Thing.

The following are probably mostly in response to Edward Loper:

I said that with REs you didn't detect errors

> Well, it depends on how you're detecting errors...
>
> > 	plain: 'This '
> > 	emph:  'is "too'
> > 	plain: ' confusing":http://some.url'
>
> Here, you could say that the string '":' without a matching '"'
> is illegal, and raise an error..

That approach is what I meant when I talked about "a long RE for
detecting common errors", and it is a sensible approach *if one is
validating* - but the results should be warnings, 'cos one of the points
of ST, originally, is that users should be able to "push the corners" a
bit.

> But from the point of view of someone formalizing the language, saying
> "there's an ambiguity" is no good.  I have to either explicitly say
> "it's illegal" (=undefined) or "xyz is the correct answer."

Oh, I agree, and it's a good thing to do. But you *do* have a third
option, which is the "this behaviour produces undefined results", which
is not *quite* the same as "illegal".

> p.s., I'm not sure it's safe for us both to be writing email at the
> same time.  We might overload other peoples' mailboxes. :)

Hmm. Of course, it's an attempt at a compromise between a private
conversation, and a public dialogue that other people can chip into. Not
a very *good* compromise, necessarily...

(and damn, folding messages together clearly isn't going to work without
spending some serious time on it, so it's back to the cacophony, I'm
afraid).

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"