[Doc-SIG] suggestions for a PEP

Edward Welbourne Edward Welbourne <eddy@chaos.org.uk>
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:06:55 +0000 (GMT)

Edward, then Tony:
>> XML defines::
>> So the regexp would be something like::
>>
>>   [a-zA-Z_:][a-zA-Z0-9.-_:]*

> Hmm. I might prefer to say "a Python identifier", then, as I don't need
> the "namespace" bit (which is what the colon is for).

I don't like the XML Name; having embedded : won't sit will with
pythonic reading; but python identifiers are too restrictive.  Have we
considered the classic spec for labels to appear left of a colon, namely
RFC 822 (e-mail headers) and its kin ?  I think that basically comes
down to r'\w+(-\w+)*' as regex, generally specified (certainly in HTTP's
variant on the theme) to be read case-insensitively and conventionally
rendering each word Capitalised (e.g. Rfc-822-Compliant is normalised,
though RFC-822-compliant is read as the same identifier).  We might want
to allow _ as well as \w (indeed, we might want to define \w to include
_ given that python effectively does so).

	Eddy.